Thursday, September 23, 2010

Shabin Loft Railing

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

I went up to the shabin this past weekend by myself, while Lizz entertained an out of town guest. This afforded me two full days of work, and much was accomplished. The first thing I did Saturday morning was to finish the cable railings for the loft. As shown above, there are two railings.  Twelve cables run the width of the loft and protect the opening to the living area below.



Since the stairs run up through an opening in the loft floor, I wanted to prevent accidental falls into the stair well. For that, I ran cables perpendicular to the ceiling, which is set at 45 degrees. The cables also have the effect of eliminating the bounce originally present along the open end of the loft.



Here is the view down the stairs.  I think the railings turned out quite snazzy.

1 comment:

Caiden Moeller said...

“I think the railings turned out quite snazzy.” - Yes, it did! In fact, the cable railing breaks the monotony of the wood. And the patterns created by the set of cables give the stairs character. You can see here the striking fusion wood and metal. It is simple yet tasteful.