Monday, February 28, 2011

Deck

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

I wanted to create a nice outside area where we can set up some chairs to relax and enjoy the outside. I came upon a new product at Lowe's and decided to put it to use. It is a patio tile that is made out of recycled rubber. While durable for outside use, it is very soft and forgiving as well as porous for draining any rain. With limited time, I wanted to do something very quick and easy. So I stopped at Lowe's and picked up a truckload of sand bags, the rubber tiles, and some pressure treated lumber on my way up. The first thing I did, shown above, was to nail together four pressure treated boards to make an 8' x 8' box. The area in front of the shabin is already pretty level, and there is no topsoil to speak of. The soil is mainly rock and sand with some clay.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Next, I unloaded the bags of play sand. Above, you see the 900 lbs of sand in place.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Then, I cut and removed the bags.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

And, using an 8' board, I spread out and leveled the sand.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Finally, I laid down the rubber tiles on top of the sand. Instant patio! It looks like bricks, but is oh-so-soft. In the summer, I plan to erect a shade sail over it to provide protection from the noon day sun, and just take down the shade when we leave.

No comments: