Monday, February 28, 2011

Outlet Covers

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

One thing I got pretty wrong was the outlets. I installed the electrical boxes at a time when I thought I would be using thin paneling, 1/4" or 3/8" thick. Later, I decided on using 3/4" flooring for the walls. Electrical boxes should be installed flush with finished wall. Mine, therefore, ended up 1/2" too deep.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Luckily, this is a fairly common problem, and there is hardware for that! Seen above, the white piece of plastic is an extension made for just this purpose. I installed such an extension for every outlet and switch. in the place.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

The other thing I got wrong was being too sloppy in the holes I cut for the outlets in the paneling. I figured the outlet covers would cover up the ugliness. I was wrong.  It turns out that standard outlet covers are not much larger than the electrical boxes they cover. Luckily, I found these over sized covers. And, even better, they are made out of real, raw wood!

No comments: